The Venona Secrets
The Definitive Exposé of Soviet Espionage in America
The Venona Secrets presents one of the last great, untold stories of World War II and the Cold War.
In 1995, secret Soviet cable traffic from the 1940s that the United States intercepted and eventually decrypted finally became available to American historians. Now, after spending more than five years researching all the available evidence, espionage experts Herbert Romerstein and Eric Breindel reveal the full, shocking story of the days when Soviet spies ran their fingers through America's atomic-age secrets.
Included in The Venona Secrets are the details of the spying activities that reached from Harry Hopkins in Franklin Roosevelt s White House to Alger Hiss in the State Department to Harry Dexter White in the Treasury. More than that, The Venona Secrets exposes:
• Information that links Albert Einstein to Soviet intelligence and conclusive evidence showing that J. Robert Oppenheimer gave Moscow our atomic secrets.
• How Soviet espionage reached its height when the United States and the Soviet Union were supposedly allies in World War II.
• The previously unsuspected vast network of Soviet spies in America.
• How the Venona documents confirm the controversial revelations made in the 1940s by former Soviet agents Whittaker Chambers and Elizabeth Bentley.
• The role of the American Communist Party in supporting and directing Soviet agents.
• How Stalin s paranoia had him target Jews (code-named Rats ) and Trotskyites even after Trotsky’s death.
• How the Soviets penetrated America’s own intelligence services.
The Venona Secrets is a masterful compendium of spy versus spy that puts the Venona transcripts in context with secret FBI reports, congressional investigations, and documents recently uncovered in the former Soviet archives.
Romerstein and Breindel cast a spotlight on one of the most shadowy episodes in recent American history - a past when by our very own government officials, whether wittingly or unwittingly, shielded treason infected Washington and Soviet agents.
Published: December, 2014
608 pages, 152.40 x 228.60 x 43.18 mm
Buy from Regnery
Get a FREE cocktail recipe from the new book by Michael P. Foley, Drinking With Your Patron Saints, with your first purchase!
- List Price: $19.99
- List Price: $9.99