Hunting the President
Threats, Plots and Assassination Attempts--From FDR to Obama
In American history, four U.S. Presidents have been murdered at the hands of an assassin. In each case the assassinations changed the course of American history.
But most historians have overlooked or downplayed the many threats modern presidents have faced, and survived. Author Mel Ayton sets the record straight in his new book Hunting the President: Threats, Plots and Assassination AttemptsFrom FDR to Obama, telling the sensational story of largely forgottenor never-before revealedmalicious attempts to slay America’s leaders.
Supported by court records, newspaper archives, government reports, FBI files, and transcripts of interviews from presidential libraries, Hunting the President reveals:
- How an armed, would-be assassin stalked President Roosevelt and spent ten days waiting across the street from the White House for his chance to shoot him
- How the Secret Service foiled a plot by a Cuban immigrant who told coworkers he was going to shoot LBJ from a window overlooking the president’s motorcade route
- How a deranged man broke into Reagan’s California home and attempted to strangle the former president before he was subdued by Secret Service agents.
- In early 1992 a mentally deranged man stalking Bush turned up at the wrong presidential venue for his planned assassination attempt
- The relationships presidents held with their protectors and the effect it had on the Secret Service’s mission
Hunting the President opens the vault of stories about how many of our recent Presidents have come within a hair’s breadth of assassination, leaving America’s fate in the balance. Most of these stories have remained burieduntil now. Includes glossy photo signature of historic pictures and documents
Published: April, 2014
Buy from Regnery
Get FREE Shipping on all domestic orders over $50!
- List Price: $29.99
- List Price: $14.99